Saturday, January 26, 2008

Welcome

This is my first entry for this blog.  Thanks for checking this site.
I'd like to use this entry as an introduction to my jujitsu class.
I teach a jujitsu class for both children and adults in Waterville, Maine.  The classes are held at Champion's Fitness, located at:

30 Elm Plaza
Waterville, Maine  04901

Classes are held on Monday and Wednesday evenings and run from 6:30 to 7:30 PM for junior students, and 6:30 to 8 PM for senior students.
The prices for the class are set by Champions, my host.  They currently run $29 per month for junior students and $39 per month for seniors (16 and older).

Shoshin Ryu Maine is a member school of Shoshin Ryu Yudanshakai.  The Yudanshakai is a non-profit corporation with the mission of supporting instructors and schools teaching the art of Danzan Ryu Jujitsu.  The organization charges a small, yearly membership fee to help cover the cost of insurance for students, instructors, and schools.  

I do not make my living teaching the art of Danzan Ryu Jujitsu.  I'm a physician, and make my living caring for my patients.  I teach jujitsu because I love the art, and I love to teach.  At Shoshin Ryu Maine, we do not charge students to test for, nor receive promotions.  As a result, it usually costs much less to learn jujitsu at our school than other commercial academies.  A motivated student can begin learning jujitsu in our class for the cost of a three-ring binder (for notes); a uniform (usually less than $40); the annual dues for the organization (this year, $25); and the monthly fee charged by Champion's (as noted above).