Monday, February 11, 2008

Welcome Jason

Today, we welcomed Jason as a new student.  He comes to us with a jujitsu background, and so has hit the ground running.  I look forward to working with him as he progresses.
Megan Forbes earned her blue and orange stripes today for learning her atemi techniques and constriction techniques.  Keep up the good work, Megan!
Amy Forbes, Megan's mom, tested for her orange belt tonight.  Her experience reminded me that these early ranks are actually the toughest because they require mastery of entirely new concepts.  Those concepts will be repeated over and over again in subsequent ranks.  It's a big step.  Sensei Jon worked some ground-fighting and constrictions techniques with the rest of the class while I tested Amy.  Thanks to Jamie for acting as uke for Amy's test.  Thanks also to Christopher for helping teach Jason the ropes.
During my thirty years in Danzan Ryu, I have noticed that my teachers have also always been students, and that my students always learn best when they are teachers. 
I have added a link to Camp Kokua, the grappling contest and clinic weekend in June.  Take a look at the site.  It changes frequently as more details become available.  Lastly, there will be no class on February 18th, due to the Presidents' Day Holiday.

No comments:

Post a Comment